Effective Date: October 28, 2020
Grabango Co. (“Grabango,”“we,” or “us”) is a provider of an automated retail technology solution that uses computer vision and machine learning to make your shopping experience quicker, easier and more efficient. We recognize that your privacy is important, and that your choice to share information with us is a critical part of how we can try to improve everyday life. We’ve developed this privacy notice to explain our technologies and to describe how and why we collect, use, and share your information both in stores and online.
Please note that this privacy notice does not apply to our processing of information about employees or contractors.
In some cases, you may be shopping in a store with our technology and not even know it. This privacy notice does not apply to your shopping experience unless you interact directly with us through our App, but we have included some information below about how our technology works that may be of interest to you.
BY PROVIDING US WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR OTHERWISE USING OUR SERVICES, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE AND OUR TERMS OF SERVICE.
- Information We Collect and Use
- How We Share and Disclose Personal Information
- Online Privacy Choices
- Children’s Privacy
- Third Party Websites and Services
- How to Contact Us
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE
Personal Information: When we use the term “personal information,” we mean any information that can be used to identify you, directly or indirectly, as an individual person.
We collect information in a variety of different ways:
A. Information You Provide to Us.
We collect and use personal information you provide in the following ways:
- Registration. If you register for an account with our Services, we may collect your name, account credentials, contact information, demographic information and billing information, including email and physical address, username, password and payment card information. We use this information to administer your account, provide you with the relevant Services and information, communicate with you regarding your account and your use of the Services, and for customer support purposes. Please note that we work with third-party payment processors for the collection and use of a payment card information and do not receive such data directly.
- Communications. If you communicate with us through any paper or electronic form, we may collect your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, date of birth, or any other personal information you choose to provide to us. We use this information to investigate and respond to your inquiries, and to communicate with you, to enhance the services we offer to our users and to manage and grow our organization. If you register for our newsletters or updates, we will communicate with you by email. To unsubscribe from promotional messages, please follow the instructions within our messages and review the Online Privacy Choices section below. We may also send you transactional and Service-related messages by email, push notification, or – if you provide your phone number – by text message.
- If you are a company or store interested in partnering with us, we will collect your name, company name, and email address. We collect this information to respond to any inquiries, to help facilitate a business relationship and to communicate with you.
- Job Applications. If you apply for a job with Grabango, we will collect your name, contact information, demographic information, education and work history, work eligibility information and any other information you choose to provide. Eligible candidates may be asked to undergo a background check or other screening measures, which are facilitated by our third-party partners. We use this information to determine your eligibility for the role, facilitate your candidacy, make hiring decisions, and communicate with you through the hiring process.
B. Information We Collect Online Automatically.
We use various technologies to collect information about the device or browser you use to navigate our Website, App or from your use of our Services, including:
- Web Logs. Like many websites, apps and email communications, we automatically collect certain information about your device automatically and store it in log files. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and/or clickstream data. We then analyze patterns on our Services, manage and administer the content, improve the performance of the Services, and for fraud protection and to protect our rights and the rights and safety of individuals.
- Geolocation Information. When you download our App, you will be prompted to give permission for Grabango to access your device’s precise geolocation. We will use this information to facilitate the Services, including your in store shopping. Giving permission is voluntary, although the denial of permission to access geolocation information may result in your inability to take full advantage of Grabango’s Services. For more information on how to withdraw your permission, please see the Online Privacy Choices section below.
- Google Analytics. We use “Google Analytics” to collect information about your use of the Website. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users access the Services, what pages they access when they do so and what other sites they used prior to using the Services. Google uses the data collected to track and examine the use of the Services, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services. To learn more about the use of data collection technologies by Google for analytics and to exercise choice regarding those technologies, please visit the Google Analytics Opt-Out browser add-on page.
C. Information We Collect in Stores Automatically.
When you walk into a store that uses our technology, we collect information about your visit, including information about your movement around the store and the items you interact with and purchase. Please note that we do not control the information collected in stores owned and operated by our third party partners. See the Third Party Websites and Services section below for more information.
There are two different types of user experience:
Grabango Checkout-Ready Service: Grabango Checkout-Ready Service: If you enter a Store and do not have our App installed on your phone or an active Grabango account, our technology does not try to associate your image with any personal information. Instead, if your image is collected through our technologies, it’s used for the one-time purpose of completing your payment transaction in the store. Our technology associates your image with the products you pick up to build a virtual cart. Then, when you are ready to check out, your virtual cart is presented without the need to manually scan your selected items. The payment transaction will then be completed by the cashier using your payment method of choice. Grabango will not receive information about any payment card you use or any other information about your payment method of choice. After the payment transaction is completed, we may retain the certain information collected through our cameras and related technologies, but we do not try to identify you or track your visits over time or across different stores. We may transfer this information to the Stores for their own purposes, subject to their own privacy policies.
Grabango Checkout-Free Service: If you do have our App and a registered account, the information we collect about your visit will be identifiable to you as personal information, including:
- Device Information. As is true of most mobile apps, we may automatically collect information whenever the shopper uses the App. This information may include device and application identification numbers, your username or other Grabango account identifier, browser type, mobile carrier, operating system and system configuration information, date/time stamps associated with your usage and any other unique identifier offered by your phone (“Device Information”). Device Information is used to associate your visit with your Grabango account and to analyze your visits and shopping patterns to help us improve our Services and to provide the stores with analytics and insights.
- Visits and Purchases. When you walk into a store that uses our technology, we or our third-party partners collect information about your visit, including information about your movement around the store and the items you interact with to create a virtual cart. We will associate this information with your Device Information to identify your Grabango account so you can walk out of the store with the products in your virtual cart and we can complete your payment transaction for you using your payment information and ID card information on file. We also use this information for internal reporting and analytics, to track our payment transactions and to facilitate any customer service inquiries. We may transfer information from our cameras and related technologies to the Stores for their own purposes, subject to their own privacy policies.
D. Information from Third Party Sources.
We may receive personal information about you from other users or our business partners and service providers and combine this information with other information we have.
- Referrals. We may obtain information about you from other users who think you may be interested in the Services. If so, we will collect your name and contact information, which we will use to reach out to you with information about our Services.
- Background Check Information. For job candidates, we may obtain information about you from references or our third-party background check partners, which we will use to determine your eligibility for the role and make hiring decisions.
- Stores. If you have a Grabango account, third party stores may send us information about your loyalty membership, purchases or visits to their stores, which we will use to analyze trends, improve our business and advise the stores on potential business improvements.
- Payment Processors. If you make a purchase through the App, we will receive confirmation about the transaction from the applicable payment processor. We will not receive any payment card information or account numbers. We may use this information to complete transactions, to provide receipt information to you, for recordkeeping purposes, to prevent fraud or to protect our rights or the rights of others.
E. Other Uses of Personal Information.
In addition to the uses described above, we may collect and use personal information for the following purposes:
- To create, maintain, improve, and operate the App, Website and Services.
- To personalize your user experience.
- To communicate with you to provide technical or administrative support.
- To conduct, manage, and grow our organization.
- To analyze, research, investigate and improve the use of our Services and interactions with stores.
- To prevent, investigate, and provide fraud notifications, unlawful or criminal activity, unauthorized access to or use of personal information, our data system services, and to meet governmental and institutional policy obligations.
- To investigate and resolve disputes and security issues and to enforce our Terms of Service.
- For any other lawful, legitimate business purpose.
2. HOW WE SHARE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share your personal information in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We share personal information with third-party service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as technology providers (including web and mobile platforms and hosting providers, email communications providers, analytics providers and data storage providers) and our payment providers for any orders you may make.
- Regulatory or Legal Requirements, Safety and Terms Enforcement. We may disclose personal information to governmental regulatory authorities as required by law, including for tax or accounting purposes, in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations. We may also disclose personal information to third-parties in connection with claims, disputes or litigation, when otherwise required by law, or if we determine its disclosure is necessary to protect the health and safety of you or any other person, to protect against fraud or credit risk, or to enforce our legal rights or contractual commitments that you have made.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose personal information as part of an organizational business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, financing, or sale of organizational assets and may transfer personal information to a third-party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. We may also disclose personal information in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Publicly. At your direction, we may make your information publicly available, such as if you post public comments on our sites or provide product testimonials.
3. ONLINE PRIVACY CHOICES
A. Online Advertising.
We support the self-regulatory principles of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”). We work with advertisers, advertising networks, advertising servers, and analytics companies (“Ad Partners”) that use data collection technologies to understand how our Website, App and Services are being used and to analyze your browsing history in order to deliver advertising relevant to your interests, as well as to provide advertising-related insights. These advertisements may appear on other websites or services, including through social media networks. These Ad Partners may be able to associate devices across third party websites or services over time and link various devices used by the same individual.
For more information about how Ad Partners use the information collected by these technologies and your options for restricting cookies placed by some of these Ad Partners, please visit the DAA’s opt-out page. The DAA’s opt-outs are device- and browser-specific and may not work on all devices. If you choose to opt-out through the DAA’s tools it does not mean you will cease to see advertising. Rather, the ads you see will be based on the website you are visiting and not your interests.
B. Privacy Preferences.
You have some choices regarding how we use your personal information, including the following:
- Modifying or Deleting Your Information. If you have questions about reviewing, changing, or deleting your information, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are inquiring about information collected in store by one of our store partners, please contact our store partner for more information. We may not be able to change or delete your information in all circumstances.
- How to Control Your Email Communications Preferences. You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in the email. You may not opt-out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Website, technical and security notices).
- Modifying Your Device Settings. You can restrict the Grabango App from accessing certain device information, such as precise geolocation, by changing your permissions in your mobile device’s settings menu. Please note that the withdrawal of permission to access some device information may result in an inability to take full advantage of our Services.
4. CHILDRENS PRIVACY
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13), nor is this website targeted towards children under the age of thirteen. In the event we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age thirteen, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have received information from a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
5. THIRD PARTY WEBSITES AND SERVICES
Our technologies may be in use by unaffiliated third party stores. Similarly, the Services may contain integrations or links to third party websites or services, including those of our business partners. By interacting with these third parties or shopping in their stores, you are providing information directly to the third party and not Grabango. Please note that Grabango is not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties or any entity that it does not own or control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and online terms of those third parties to learn more about how they handle your personal information.
6. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the services, please contact us at: